Sunday, April 02, 2006

Dreaming Brain Redux

L. sometimes wakes up in the middle of the night and says things to me. I am an extremely heavy sleeper, and otherwise don't wake up for almost anything, but when she starts talking, I'm immediately awake and (I think) relatively coherent, trying to figure out what she's saying. It usually tends, as a rule, to be kind of vaguely creepy. One night several months ago she woke up said, "Oh...oh my god, there are two cats in the bed with us." This, of course, was rather alarming, seeing as how we don't have any cats. Well, that, and her general sense of panic at suddenly waking up to find cats in our bed. Except, of course, there were no cats. I looked around to verify this fact and told her that in fact there were not any cats in the bed with us, and she said "Oh...okay," and went immediately back to sleep.

The other thing is, she doesn't remember that this happens. So, for instance, this blog entry will be the first she's heard of the incident from the other night that I'm about to relate. I woke up and she was saying this: "I understand now. The air from outside is coming in through the door of the basement." And then she immediately rolled over and went back to sleep.

I was lying there, now momentarily awake, and the weird thing was that I could pretty much piece together where her mind had been when it had decided to wake up and say that. I can't quite recall what it was now, but I remember thinking I ought to go downstairs and make sure the basement door was locked, but then realizing that this wasn't what she was telling me. She was telling me something else.

Next: More mysteries!
Tags:

No comments: